Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

I found this recipe a few weeks ago and thought it might be something that my kiddos might like.  Plus, there is hardly any breading so maybe hubby will eat it too.  I used the entire bag of frozen chicken tenders that I had and chunked them up.  I doubled the eggs and cornstarch so that I had plenty to cover the chicken in.  But, I didn't do a great job browning it.  I put it in my largest skillet and realized I should have used the chicken fryer.  Plus, I added the vegetable oil after all the chicken was in the skillet and I should have done it first.  But other than all that, it turned out pretty good.  Hubby of course peeled off all the skin but Morgan and Kyle inhaled it.  Lauren had a couple pieces so for me it was a success.  I served it over rice and it was great the next day for lunch. 

I had never battered anything before and my hands were a mess from the cornstarch/egg mix but it was easy and turned out really yummy.

















Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
                                                                     Sauce
3-4 boneless chicken breasts                           3/4 cup sugar
salt & pepper to taste                                     4 tbl ketchup
1 cup cornstarch                                            1/2 c white vinegar
2 eggs, beaten                                               1 tbl soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil                                      1 tsp garlic salt

 Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour but turn chicken every 15 minutes.  Serve with rice.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment