Thursday, May 24, 2012

Creamy Chicken Pasta

Hubby threw me a curve ball this week and told me to fix Pasta because he had been bad all day on his "modified atkins" diet.  I was ill prepared but had a bunch of ideas I had pinned on pinterest.  I pulled the one that looked quick and that I had all the ingredients in the house :)  I was bummed because I had no chicken left cooked and cut up in the freezer.  But I grabbed the bag out of the freezer I had bought to do that with the next free day I have (wink, wink).  I cooked the entire bag of chicken according to these directions and used what I needed for this recipe and made 2 containers for the freezer.  (Consisting of 2 cups each of cooked and chunked chicken)  Out of all the cooking I have done to help prep for week nights, this has to be the best shortcut I have found.

This recipe I am sharing with you was delicious.  Everyone, I mean everyone ate this meal.  I can't tell you the last time that has happen.  My little one didn't want to eat it, but tried it and cleaned her plate.  Which for her is huge.  I have a recipe very similar to this that I love (I will include the variation as well) but I never have cottage cheese or ricotta in my house unless I plan on making lasanga.  And planning doesn't seem to be happening this month.  May is a crazy time for us and I am lucky to cook at all.

Hope you enjoy this as much as my family did!  The leftovers were wonderful as well.

Creamy Chicken Pasta
Creamy Chicken Pasta
4 chicken breasts
2 tbl vegtable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2/3 pkg of wide egg noodles
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used fiesta blend)
salt & pepper to taste

Cook chicken breasts in oil until no longer pink and browned on both sides.  Allow time to cool.  Cut into bite size pieces.
Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions.
Mix sour cream and soup in large mixing bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add noodles and chicken.  Mix together. 
Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Cover with cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. 

Dished up on my plate!

Variation:
My other recipe calls for ricotta or cottage cheese instead of the sour cream.  And calls for a small can of mushrooms to be added to the soup mixture before adding the noodles and chicken.  Also, mix the cheese with the soup mixture instead of adding on top at the end.  I will have to take a photo of it the next time I make it and add to this.

1 comment: