Sunday, March 4, 2012

Stuffed Green Peppers

I have been wanting to make one of my hubby's & oldest favorites and was finally able to find the time to make them.  It doesn't take long but I've had the peppers and I didn't want them to go to waste.  I had found another recipe where they froze them.  So, I made them yesterday while the turkey I was fixing was in the oven and put them in my brand new freezer.  Planning on having them one night this week while we are running between dance, track and flag football :)  I made them a little different and didn't have as much filling left over to coat the bottom of the pan, but I was able to put more in the peppers this way :)
Stuffed Green Peppers
4 large green peppers
1 lb ground beef
1/3 c chopped onion
1 can (14oz) diced tomato's
1 cup water
1 cup rice, uncooked
2 tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt & pepper

I cut some of the bottoms of the peppers off until the stood better.  (Its OK if you put a small whole in the pepper in the process) I cut the tops off the peppers, removed stems, seeds & membranes.  Immerse the peppers into boiling water for 5 mins.

Meanwhile, cook the meat and onion until no longer pink.  Drain grease.  Stir in tomato's, water, rice, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt & pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat.  Simmer for 15 - 18 mins.  Stir in 1/2 c cheese.

Fill peppers with meat mixture.  Place in baking dish and put remaining meat mixture around the peppers.

Bake @ 375 for 15 - 20 mins.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Let stand 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I froze them before I cooked them.  I plan on pulling them out in the morning and letting them defrost in the fridge all day and baking them for at least 20 minutes and adding my cheese at the end.

Hope your family enjoys these as much as mine do.  My husband wanted them yesterday instead of the turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes I fixed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment