Sunday, August 12, 2012

More OAMC Cooking

I did some more Once A Month Cooking today.  I keep calling it OAMC but I don't do it once a month for a full day.  I do it for a couple hours whenever it fits in our schedule.  Today happened to be one of them. 

School starts in a week and I wanted to get some more banana bread made and muffins done for the freezer.  It makes mornings so much easier if I have something I can pull out that is homemade for my kids.  It makes me feel better when I know they have good, heathly choices in the morning and not sugary cereal or poptarts every morning.  I try to even that out by having other options for them.  But it can be hard to stay ahead of it. 
Banana Bread, muffins & precooked bacon

I made 2 packages of blueberry and chocolate chip muffins to pop in the freezer.  That way I can defrost as many as I need or the entire container at once. 

I also made 2 loaves of banana bread using my sisters recipe.  You can find it by clicking here. I had banana's going brown on the counter and I hate to throw them out.

I also tried something completely different this month.  I had found a pin to walk me through cooking bacon in the oven.  It was super easy.  I folded the cooled bacon in half and stored them in a freezer bag.  I am going to see how they turn out next week.  I have lots of recipes that call for crumbled bacon and I hate using bacon bits.  We shall see if my experiement works.  I will pull it out and defrost it as I need it.  Look for a post on that sometime soon. 

Here are the steps to cook bacon in the oven:
Line a cookie sheet with foil.  Lay bacon on foil touching buy not overlapping.  Set oven to 400 degrees and pop bacon in for 15-17 minutes.  (You do NOT need to preheat the oven)  Cook longer if you like really crisp bacon.  Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.  Once cool, use the paper towels to soak up grease on foil and discard.

No comments:

Post a Comment