Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Mac & Cheese

So I made homemade Mac & Cheese last night.  Why would I do that when I could easily open the cabinet and get out a box of the stuff and throw it together in no time.  Because I LOVE the creaminess of the homemade stuff and my kids LOVE it when I make it for them.  Now, I made it to go with my hubby's now famous burgers (burgers with bacon, Swiss and cheddar cheese on them).  I could make my sons all time favorite with this and add the ground beef to make it a meal but I just went with the side version.

It is super easy and takes longer to boil the elbow macaroni than anything else.  Plus it can be put in a crock pot and taken to a carry-in very easily.  I did that earlier this year for a food day at work.

Homemade Mac & Cheese
1 pkg (7 oz) elbow macaroni
1 cup cubed American cheese (I use Velveeta)
1/4 c milk
pepper to taste

Cook macaroni according to directions.
Meanwhile, cube cheese and place into a sauce pan or frying pan.  Whatever you have available. 
Pour milk in with the cheese and cook until cheese is melted.  I wait to turn this on until noodles are almost done cooking.
Drain noodles and put back into pot.  Add cheese/milk mix and mix well.  Sprinkle with pepper to add a little color and taste. 

Now, you could brown a pound of hamburger and add to the noodle cheese mix.  It is delicious and a hit at my house any night of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment