Thursday, February 21, 2013

Rice Pilaf

Here is one of my all time favorite side dishes and I got the recipe out of the original "Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook".  I got the cookbook at one of my bridal showers from a friend of my then future Mother-in-Law.  It has proven to be an excellant resource for my kitchen. 

I LOVE cookbooks.  I have too many of them and cleaned some out recently.  But this one is still there and has lots of recipes that I refer to time and time again.  It also has explanations on what the cuts of meats are called and substitution list.  I would not have survived our first years of married cooking without it.  Or my hubby would have starved.  I am super lucky he is not picky and willing to try anything.  I don't know what I would do with a "meat, potato, veggie, bread" man every night of the week.  It would be ugly.  I love trying new recipes and casseroles are my favorite :)

Hope you enjoy this healthy side that comes together quickly for weeknights.

Rice Pilaf
1/2 c chopped onion
1 jar (4oz) sliced mushrooms
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbl margarine
1 1/2 c water
1 c white rice
1 beef bouillon cube
dash of pepper

In a saucepan cook onion, mushrooms and garlic in margarine until tender.  Add in water, uncooked rice, bouillons and pepper.  Bring to boiling and reduce heat.  Cover and simmer about 15 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is all absorbed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment