Sunday, June 10, 2012

Oriental Slaw

One of my favorite sides for any family gathering or cookout has to be this recipe.  My sister-in-law is a fabulous cook and I stole this from her.  She made it at a wedding shower years ago and it has become a staple that I serve.  It can be made ahead in parts and then thrown together at the end.  Its super easy and I keep the main ingredients in my pantry just in case.  It is that great mix of sweet and salty with an added crunch.  I will warn you, it doesn't keep well so remember that when you are fixing it for a large group.

Oriental Slaw
1 bag cole slaw
1 bag of ramen noodles (I use the blue chicken package)
1 c slivered almonds
1/4 c margarine

For the sauce:
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 Tbl soy sauce
1/4 c vinegar

With the ramen is still in the package, smash it until its in small chunks.  Be careful, it tends to squirt out the sides of the package.  In a skillet, melt butter. Add almonds and ramen noodles and cook until golden brown. 
Place the coleslaw in a large mixing bowl and add browned mix.  Mix well.
In some sort of container with a lid, put the ingredients for the sauce together and shake to mix well.

Right before serving time, add sauce to the coleslaw mixture and mix well.

My favorite part is the crunchy ramen pieces.  Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment