Thursday, December 6, 2012

Grandma Bode's Sugar Cookies turned Christmas

I needed cookies for a cookie exchange at Bunko this week and I decided to try something new.  I took my Grandmother Bode's sugar cookie recipe and adapted it.  They looked great and tasted even better.  I LOVE her sugar cookie recipe and I wanted to dress them up for this exchange.  You roll the cookies in sugar and I rolled them in green/red sugar instead.  They looked lovely.  I added a Hershey's peppermint kiss and they were perfect.

The secret to these is making sure you chill the dough long enough or they spread out easy.  I like to chill mine overnight. 

Hope you enjoy!

 
Grandma Bode's Sugar Cookies turned Christmas
1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 cups flour
Bag of Hershey's Peppermint Kisses

Cream butter, oil and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients.  Cover and chill several hours.  When chilled, using a teaspoon dip up dough and form into a ball using your hands.  Roll in sugar and place on cookie sheet.  Press flat with the bottom of a glass.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.  Remove and add Peppermint Kiss.

I only baked mine about 9-10 minutes.  I like mine very pale.  They brown very easily.

Here is a close up of one on the cooling rack.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment