Friday, December 21, 2012

Spritz Cookies

I have started on my Christmas baking and I make my favorite cookies 2 ways.  One as the green trees and one as a long skinny S that I dip in chocolate and add nuts or sprinkles too.  These are some of my favorite cookies and I do make them year round just more at the holidays.  I always make a tray of cookies for my neighbor and this year she asked for the recipe.  Always the biggest compliment.   

I have found that the dough needs to be a little chilled to not spread so easily when you use the cookie press.  Plus, not all cookie presses are created equal.  I have tried a lot of them and I use one for the S cookies which is older than I am.  They don't make the star tip on the newer cookie presses any more.  The cheap plastic ones (about $10) I use as long as I can until the break for the trees, hearts or flowers I make throughout the year. 

I think the secret ingredient to these is the Almond Extract.  I gives them the right flavor plus I like them just this side of done.  They are softer and so much better.

Enjoy!


Spritz Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Dash salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream butter in large bowl.  Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and extract.  Gradually add in dry ingredients.  Using cookie press, make cookies about 1 3/4 inches in diameter onto an unbuttered cookie sheets.  Decorate with sprinkles.  Bake 10 -12 minutes until pale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment